For a detailed explanation of my experiment with this recipe click here. This recipe was adapted from a recipe by Giada on FoodNetwork. Giada’s recipe calls for significantly more basil and uses frozen blackberries rather than fresh. Her recipe can be found by clicking here.
16-19 ounces fresh blackberries and slightly mashed
1 1/4 ounces fresh basil
2/3 cup sugar
Juice from 1 orange
Juice from 1 lemon
- Place the basil, sugar, orange juice and lemon juice in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- If your blackberries were previously frozen, drain the juice but reserve 1/4 cup.
- Put the blackberries and 1/4 cup of the juice in a medium saucepan.
- Mix the basil and sugar mixture with the blackberries.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer until the mixture is thick, stirring occasionally for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 1 hour.
- The jam will continue to cool as it thickens.
© 2013 FoodieOasis