The original recipe is from the book entitled The Christmas Cookie Killer by Livia J. Washburn.
See the Cooking Blog tab to walk through the story behind these cookies.
Servings: Makes 40-48 cookies, depending on size.
1 1/2 stick butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
Pecan Pie Filling
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup dark corn syrup
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For cookie dough
- In an electric mixture, lightly beat 3 eggs
- Add butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat at medium speed until completely mixed, scraping down the sides as necessary
- Add flour and stir (low speed on the mixer) until blended
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate while making the filling
For the pecan pie filling
- In a microwavable bowl, whisk the egg with the sugar, salt, dark corn syrup, and melted butter until well blended
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes
Assembling and baking cookies
- Scoop cookies (about 1 Tbsp) onto parchment lined cookie sheet approximately 2 inches apart
- With your thumb, make a well in the center of each cookie that is large enough for the filling
- Fill each well with a rounded 1/4 tsp. of filling
- Top each cookie with a pecan half
- Bake until lightly golden brown, about 13-16 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Ideally, you will assemble and fill all of the cookies at once. If not, the filling will get stiff and difficult to spoon into the wells. You can reheat the filling for about 10 seconds in the microwave and then fill the next batch of cookies, but they will likely not look quite as good as the first batch.
© 2014 FoodieOasis