12-15 jalapenos or mini-bell peppers (or a combination)
1/2 cup quick cooking polenta
1 1/4 cups milk
5 slices bacon
1/2 cup grated smoked gouda
1/2 tsp. salt
- Slice off 1/3 of each pepper (lengthwise from stem to tip) exposing inner cavity
- Use a grapefruit spoon or paring knife to carefully remove the inner seeds and white membranes from each pepper
- Slice bacon into narrow strips (about 1/2 an inch each)
- Pan fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving bacon fat. When the bacon cools, crumble it as you would for a baked potato.
- Bring the milk to a slow boil. Add salt. Stir in the polenta while whisking. Typically, it will be ready in about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the smoked gouda. Stir until smooth. Add bacon and stir to combine. At this point, you want the polenta to be soft enough that it can be easily piped into the pepper shells.
- Pour the polenta into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- Pipe the polenta into each pepper and place the peppers on a baking sheet.
- Let the peppers cool slightly while you preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- When the oven is preheated, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of smoked gouda over the top of the peppers.
© 2014 FoodieOasis