This recipe makes about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of salsa.
1 sweet onion
2 ripe avocados
1/4 a lime
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
- Remove the husks and wash the tomatillos
- Quarter and peel the onion
- Place the tomatillos, onions, and jalapenos on a large baking sheet
- Place the baking sheet 4-5 inches below the broiler. Watch for dark spots to appear. Using tongs, turn the tomatillos, onions, and jalapenos every 4-7 minutes until all sides are browned. They should be ready in about 20 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set the jalapenos aside.
- Place the tomatillos, onion, and liquid in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely blended.
- Add the cilantro and the juice of 1/4 a lime. Pulse to blend.
- Taste the jalapenos to determine how hot they are. Then add a small amount of the jalapenos to the food processor. Pulse the food processor to blend. Taste the salsa and add more jalapenos until it reaches the desired level of spice.
- Halve the avocados and remove the seeds. Then use a spoon to remove the avocado from the skin. Slice the avocados and place then in the food processor. Pulse the mixture until it is fairly smooth.
- Enjoy the salsa with chips!
If you are going to serve it later in the day, place it in a bowl. Then place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the salsa and refrigerate it until you are ready to serve it.
© 2015 FoodieOasis