I saw a photo on Pinterest that led me to the Cookies and Cups recipe for an addictive treat involving brown sugar, butter, pecans, and graham crackers. It looked like an easier version of toffee but without the chocolate, so I couldn’t resist the idea of adding a layer of chocolate! I baked a test batch and added a chocolate layer to part of the batch and left the other part in its original form. I also decided that another sprinkling of pecans on top of the chocolate would be good. But, of course, I wasn’t the only one that thought chocolate on top of these amazing treats would be good. Sure enough, when I went back and read the comments on the original post, others mentioned chocolate variations as well. Great minds thinks alike! Whether you make the original version (click the link above for that recipe) or this version with chocolate and more pecans, just enjoy! They won’t last long.
15-16 graham cracker sheets (4 rectangular cookies per sheet)
1 1/4 cup unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks) (orig. 1 cup)
1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed (orig. 1 cup)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped (orig. 3/4 cup)
1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (preferably mini-chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an ungreased baking sheet (half sheet pan) with a single layer of graham crackers. Break the graham crackers apart as needed to fit them along the edge(s) the pan. My sheet pan has rounded corners, so I had to cut off a little piece of the graham crackers in the corners to make them lay flat in the pan.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring it to a boil, and boil it for two minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the graham crackers. Use a spatula to spread it into an even layer. It will start to set up quickly, so work fast. Remember the sugar mixture is hot, so don’t touch it with your fingers.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the chopped pecans over the top of the sugar and graham crackers.
- Bake the cookies/candy for 10-12 minutes. It should be bubbly but not burned.
- Remove them from the oven. If you don’t want chocolate, then skip the rest of this step. But, if you are like me, you will want the chocolate, so sprinkle the chocolate chips over the surface. Let them melt for a minute or two. Then use a spatula to gently spread the chocolate around. Try not to move the pecans and caramel around too much.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of chopped pecans over the top.
- Let them cool. Then cut them into strips or squares. If the chocolate does not set up, just put them in the refrigerator for a few minutes before cutting the cookies/candy.
© 2015 FoodieOasis